Friday, July 15, 2011

Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Review

Do NOT diss flat chests!
This series continues to exceed my high expectations. Ringo, the brunette from the last episode, gets properly introduced this time around. As it turns out, she's somehow connected to the "penguin drum" that Nadine asked from the brothers in the previous episode. So, the brothers decide to ditch school and stalk Ringo instead with the help of their adorable little penguins. By the end of the day, they find out that they're not the only ones who have experience in the art of stalking.
I just know that they're going to make over-riced plushies out of these penguins.
I still don't understand why Shoma's the only one that always falls down a whole.
Another bomb is dropped in this episode, though it doesn't top the first episode's bomb, this was still pretty big. I've watched series with stalkers before (Gintama, Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei), but they were all usually just played for laughs, but this time, it wasn't funny. It was creepy. SO. DANG.CREEPY. I actually thought that Ringo was pretty sweet and cute at first, but now, I-I don't even know what to think of her anymore.She also owns this pink, fancy diary that might also be connected to the penguin drum, or at least have some kind of significance since it appears in the opening and all (or maybe I'm just being over-analytical).Creepy plot twist aside, the penguins are still so fudging adorable. I don't care how over-priced their plushies will be, I want one.NOW. As for the plot twist from the last episode, it's never brought up. But, I guess they've decided to save that bit for a later part in the plot. Aside from transforming into Nadine, Himari doesn't do much in this episode either.
While I calmly enjoyed the sheer cuteness of this scene, my sister went through another fangasm.
Edward Cullen ain't got nothin' on these sparkles.
What? This is all the screen time I'll get?
Alongside Ringo, another new character is introduced: Tabuki, the brothers' homeroom teacher and the cause for Ringo's...affections...He doesn't do much in this episode either (other than being stalked), but since he's also featured in the opening, he might play a significant role later on. I'll be keeping an eye on him, especially since he's voiced by Akira Ishida (Kaworu from Evangelion, Katsura from Gintama, Break from Pandora Hearts, to name a few), one of my favorite voice actors. But that doesn't mean I'll be biased to him (but I am a bit biased to Shoma since he doesn't have as big of a "sister complex"). I wonder how long this series will keep dropping plot twists at the end of each episode though. And if they can manage to successfully surprise the audience each time. I'm still not sure where the plot is going, but this show is still amazing.
I WANT ONE.
Don't look back. Don't look back. Don't look back.
This episode gets:

No comments:

Post a Comment